Hutchings & Hillyer
Cannon & Company
Doctor Cheeseman's Female Regulating Pills were developed by someone named, appropriately, S. Cheeseman, in the 1830's. The name was registered as a trade mark in 1860 by Richard Hutchings, Dr. Cheeseman's agent. Richard's Hutchings' brother Jacob formed a partnership with Edwin Hillyer and purchased the rights to the preparation from the Cheeseman estate in 1864. Private die stamps were first issued on September 6 of that year and into May of 1876. 177,585 were printed on old paper and 54,843 on silk paper. The one above is on silk paper.
In 1868 or early 1869 the firm of Hutchings and Hillyer was dissolved, and the medicine was then taken over by Dr. Cornelius Cheeseman, S. Cheeseman's Son. After that E.L. Borneisler & Company bought it. All of these successor owners presumably used the Hutchings & Hillyer stamps.
In 1876 the preparation and the die of the proprietary stamp were passed on to Cannon & Company. The design of the stamp was altered to reflect this ownership and issued from July, 1876 through March 13, 1883. 56,380 were printed, on silk, pink and watermarked papers. The copy above is on watermarked paper.